Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Zoe starts preschool!

Today was the big day! Zoe woke us up this morning, jumping up and down while shouting, "I'M SO EXCITED FOR SCHOOL! I'M SO EXCITED FOR SCHOOL!"

While I know that having your 3-1/2 year old away for a few hours doesn't seem like a huge deal, it sure felt like a huge deal to me. I have only been away from Zoe for a few short periods of time, and even during those times she was most likely at home with Pat, or with a few other select relatives. She has never been dropped off at a friend's house for a playdate, because I always end up staying too. You get the picture.

I just didn't like the idea of not being able to know everything she was doing, if she was behaving, what she was learning, all the silly things she did or said, if she sang along during singing time, if she was shy or outgoing, if she played trucks with the boys or dolls with the girls, if she remembered what I told her about not talking about things that we only do in the bathroom. I was very excited for her though, because I know how much she loves being around other kids, and how quickly she can get bored being at home all day.

Despite the big knot in my stomach, her first day went perfectly. She picked out her own outfit, asked me if I would curl her hair, brushed her own teeth and then picked out her bright yellow sandals (instead of her pink ones) to go with her brown and pink outfit. :)


In the 2.5 hours she was gone, I was able to make a quick trip to the grocery store, unload the groceries, snuggle with Landon, put him down for a nap, workout and shower! I could get used to this.

I wish I had taken a picture of her as she was running out to me afterwards: construction paper crown slipping down into her eyes, beaming smile, racing to show me the candy that she was rewarded at the end of the day for staying in the 'green zone'. So proud of my little girl!

Now if only she could be this enthusiastic about every school year for the next 18+ years! :D

1 comment: